Monday, June 14, 2010

Author, author!

As some of you know, I write. Not for a living, although I've sold a few things to magazines (Ladybug, Babybug, Outdoor Indiana). Because I write, it stands to reason I enjoy reading too.

For daily doses of whimsical stories, I read The Blonde Duck's blog. Here, I'd like to highlight other writers that I have some connection to, real or tenuous. :)

One of the most delightful authors I've had the pleasure to meet in real life is Helen Frost. I took a workshop from her at an IN SCBWI (Society of Children's Book Writers and Publishers) conference and will remember it always for her wisdom, terrific ability at imparting knowledge, and warm personality. She is an amazing poet!Another wonderful Indiana author is Elsa Marston. I've taken a class and a workshop with her, as well as attended a talk given by her. She is a brilliant lady.
This next book is interesting because it's a beautiful collaboration: written by April Pulley Sayre, also a fellow member of the IN SCBWI (whom I've not met yet, but hope to soon), and illustrated by Annie Patterson, an inspirational blog-friend.
Douglas Florian is also a blog friend. His poetry is way cool, and his art is incredible. I highly recommend his science-poetry books for any child on your list!
The incomparable Lisa Yee is now both a blog-friend and a Facebook friend. She keeps her fans in stitches with her hilarious insights and thoughts on every topic under the sun. Someday, I hope to meet her in person. :)
We once attended a talk given by Lawrence Krauss. I am still speechless with awe. I love this book of his:
Remember when I said "tenuous"? Well, this one is it. I follow Phil Plait on Twitter. Lame, yes, but that doesn't mean this book isn't a darned good read. And most of the general population could stand to read it:
What have you been reading? Share some good books with me!

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams