Saturday, June 30, 2007

I'm officially old

After going to the Eye Clinic nearly 2 weeks ago and being guinea pig to an intern for 4 hours, I finally got my new pair of graduated bifocals yesterday. Woohoo! That and my senior citizen discount card will get me 10 lousy percent off at stores that I never go to anyway.

I am enjoying my new glasses though. It's really helped at the computer. I think it's because of my weird condition of having one eye near-sighted and one eye far-sighted that I can't focus very well at a distance of about 1.5 ft from my face. When I look at far away things, my right eye essentially shuts off and lets my left eye do the work, and vice versa when I look at things close-up.

Unfortunately, poor ds#1 took after me this way.

But, it's really hard trying to adjust to using both eyes again. I had a pair of glasses previously and it always gave me a headache, so I pretty much never wore it. I am having a little bit of that right now, but not as bad as it used to be. I don't think I'll attempt driving with them yet. I'll have a couple of weeks in Vancouver (NOT driving) to adjust.

A couple of things that might be helping with this new pair of glasses are 1) it's frameless so it's more light-weight than most, and 2) it has flexible, uh, whatever that part that goes from the lenses to your ears is called, so it doesn't touch my temples. Both those things normally give me a headache, which is why it's usually so hard to find a pair of sunglasses that I like too.

"To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge." ~ Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881)