Sunday, July 22, 2007

More random thoughts

We received our copy of Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows yesterday. The guys picked up the mail before lunch, and ds#1 began to read it as we ate lunch around 1 p.m. He finished the book sometime around 5 p.m. (could be earlier but I wasn't keeping track; I just knew it was before 5 since we had to set up for the hilltop event and he was done before then). I remember it took him around a day (8-10 hours, maybe?) to finish the longest book (Harry Potter #5) a few years back. He's certainly improved his reading speed since. Dh and I read faster than the average adult, but ds#1 reads faster than either of us.

As always, the hilltop soiree turned out better than I anticipated. At the very least, it's over with, and now I can turn my time and energy to other things (to do and to dread). We had probably 50+ people, about half of whom were not affiliated with the department. But, most of them were pleasant, and one couple even brought watermelon and tasty brownies.

It's interesting to note that, similar to doctors who smoke, people who majored in psychology are not generally the most competent folks when it comes to interpersonal interactions. Odd that.

I'm pooped today from switching into "gregarious mode" for 4+ hours. I'm, as anyone who's read one of my other Blogthings surveys remembers, NOT an extrovert. It's going to be a rough 3 years being the wife of the chair of the department.

"To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge." ~ Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881)