Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Organic make-up

Rosie asked about recommendations for organic make-up, and it's long enough of a reply that I thought I'd do a post on it.

I have tried Aubrey Organic's line, but I wasn't crazy about it. Now, that's just personal preference, not because of some actual defect in the products. I didn't like having to mix my own palette of colors because I'm lazy and have minimum time for make-up application. People who like to control their own color options will probably like it better than I did. I tried the lip color and face color products.

Another line of organic make-up and facial/body care is MiEssence, an Australian brand. I bought a facial cleanser and hair gel from a lovely gal named Susanna at her site, Boutique Organica, but I haven't tried the make-up yet.

Other companies that sell organic make-up are Dr. Hauschka (this is the brand I'm going to try next; currently, I'm still using Paula's Choice cosmetics which are not organic) and Jurlique. You can also find these lines at Saffron Rouge or Drugstore.com (which isn't as extensive as Saffron for product selection). If you're lucky enough to live near a nice health food co-op, some of them (such as Harvest Market in Hockessin, DE) have open samples for you to try before buying.

"To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge." ~ Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881)