Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Good eatery, The Bad news, and the Ugly truth

To offset my negative reviews of the two previous restaurants I mentioned, I do want to add that we had some tasty sandwiches at the Bloomington Sandwich Company yesterday. The owner is such a nice guy, and the sandwiches, while not totally outstanding (but then again, you just can't get a great muffaletta outside of New Orleans or a great Reuben outside of NYC), are quite delicious (their club is huge and tasty).

The bad news? Mabel, our old chicken from my friend Jami, died. She was acting pretty droopy for the past week, and today, our only free day of the week, dh was going to put her out of her misery. But, when he went to clean out the chicken house, he found that she had already died. It's not the worst news, really. She was old and was never one of our favorites, but I feel bad that she may have been feeling sick for a few days before she died.

And the ugly truth: my memory is aging faster than I am. When we were visiting my FIL yesterday, he was remarking how his memory has gotten so bad that he needs to write things down as he thinks of them or he'll forget. I didn't want to seem like I was one-upping him, so I didn't say what I was thinking, which was "You are 82 years old; you are expected to have some memory lapses every now and then. I'm only 43, and my memory is probably worse than yours!" The gingko pills aren't working.

"To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge." ~ Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881)