Monday, October 15, 2007

Land-locked eleven

I couldn't think of a cute word-play (it was a toss-up between a parody of "Ocean's Eleven" or "And Then There Were None") for the subject line. We finally culled the annoying little roosters on Saturday. My sister got a hefty taste of the homesteading life. She helped with the plucking. Next time, she can eviscerate. Heh heh

Speaking of my sister, she has left after a three-week visit here. Didn't seem like it had been three weeks already. She was a huge help around here and it was really nice to have her around to chat with and do things with, although we didn't do as much as I had intended to.

We have 5 chickens in the fridge now. This will last us maybe a couple of months. Luckily, we have found folks at the Farmers' Market who are selling free-range, grass-eating, organic chickens. I'm so excited! My wrist is killing me from working on the 5 chickens, and my sister suggests just buying chicken from these lovely folks from now on. They are really the nicest couple; we don't even know them, but they offered us the use of their plucker.

"To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge." ~ Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881)