Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Last O' the Tomatoes

I finally used up all the tomatoes that we had picked a few weeks ago (all starting to go south very nicely on our picnic table on the porch). It's pretty much the last of our tomatoes. As well, tomatoes this time of year, even if we still had any on the plants, don't taste very good. The seeds inside some of them have sprouted too. When I cut them open, the sprouts look like little worms. Not very appetizing.

I made one of the kids' favorites: savory tomato pie. It's a variation of the one found in the book Tomatoes by Lee Bailey.

It asked for basil but I don't think we have any viable basil plants anymore; we had a light frost last week. I was too lazy to walk 300 feet to find out. We do, however, have tons of garlic chives - right off the back steps, in fact. So, I put in lots and lots of that.

We'll need to remember to bring in the rosemary and lemon verbena to over-winter. The cuttings we started didn't take, so we will try to prune the plants back and bring them in.

"To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge." ~ Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881)