Monday, November 05, 2007

The best laid plans...

I had planned on being online and doing a few things (including NaNoWriMo) while in DE. But, as we found out after arriving, my FIL's phone line had gone from bad to worse and it was so staticky that we couldn't log on. DH called the night we first arrived - Wednesday, but Verizon, being worse than AT&T (is that possible??), didn't come over until Friday afternoon. The guy said he tested the line and that it was a damaged cable. Promising me that it'd be fixed by Saturday morning, the truck left. And what do you know? Saturday night rolled around and still the line was bad. Big surprise. They called Dh on his cell phone Saturday night and said they'd be over on Sunday to fix the line. Yeah, right. We'll believe it when we hear it. We left before 6a.m. on Sunday so we won't find out until our next visit - which, I hope, won't be for another year, but that's just me being optimistic.

Today I, Ms. Excitement, am spending the day unpacking and doing laundry, trying to get rid of the disgustingly musty house smell that pervade our clothes (and hair) every time we stay at my FIL's place. The kids are under strict orders that when dh and I get old and start to lose our sense of smell and forget to open up the house to air it out and therefore start to get that stench that some old people who forget to bathe get, they are to 1) tell us right away, 2) forcibly air the house out if we're in denial, and 3) persuade us to move into a smaller place that we hadn't stunk up yet.

At the risk of seeming like I'm taking over my sister's blog (Thought for Food), I'm going to continue talking about the food we've had.

I could write odes to the crab cakes at Captain's Catch in DE! They are one of the best crab cakes we have ever tasted. Every visit, we try to have it once or twice (and hope we hadn't ingested too much heavy metals or other icky stuff that generally comes with eating seafood).

Then, there is Blacklab Breads that we discovered this past December. They make beautiful artisan breads and the most amazing focaccias. We took a special run to get their anchovy focaccia on Saturday because they only make those on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.

A place we tried for the first time, even though we talked about going there for years, was The Back Burner. The food was excellent and the service friendly. We managed to catch it on Thursday, which is their lobster special night, and therefore I had to order that since I hadn't had lobster in a while. It was messy, but worth every minute working the meat out.

"To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge." ~ Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881)