Monday, January 21, 2008

One of those days...

Definitely a Monday.

In addition to my cramps and poor sleep the night before, we got home to discover that one of our chickens, Star, had been killed by a red-tailed hawk. In fact, the hawk was still sitting next to her body and really didn't want to give it up. I got within 2 feet of it, waving my arms, before it flew off. Unfortunately, we had the dog on the porch while we were gone so she couldn't protect them. We'll miss her sweet personality and her lovely green-blue eggs.

I feel bad about depriving the hawk of its meal, but, really, it can just catch the hundreds of mice, moles, and voles on our property instead. Heck, it can have a few mourning doves too.

It's been a bit of a sad start to the year. First, one of dh's uncle died, rather suddenly. Then, we found out that the mom of one of my old friends also died suddenly (was hit by a car). And now Star.

Maybe the Chinese New Year will ring in a better year. I can only hope.

"To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge." ~ Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881)