Saturday, February 09, 2008

And speaking of cleaning bathrooms

...always a popular blog topic. Not.

I ran out of my homemade "Soft Scrub" (Karen Logan has the recipe in her book Clean Home, Clean Planet) a month and a half ago, and was too lazy to whip up another batch, so I had been using the Seventh Generation Bathroom Cleaner. It's nice, but I missed my scrub. Finally made a batch last week. It only has 3 ingredients, plus water, but works very well. You mix up baking soda with a liquid soap - I use the Dr. Bronner's Liquid Castille soap, which is incredible stuff - and add water and vinegar to this mixture.

My favorite Dr. Bronner's soap is Peppermint. Not only does it have antibacterial properties, but it smells amazing and refreshing. The liquid castille soap is terrific for general purpose cleaning too. I use the proportions in Annie Berthold-Bond's book, Better Basics for the Home, and make an all-purpose soap-and-water cleaner that I use for everything from the kitchen counters to the toilets.

Anyway, I put the Scrub into an old Hunter's Honey Farm honey bottle which works quite well in dispensing the thick, goopy stuff. Incidentally, the people at Hunter's Honey Farm are the nicest folks. There are other options in town, but I buy my honey and honey products solely from them at the Farmers Market. They have a life-time customer in me (until such time we decide to retire to the Pacific Northwest, I guess).

And one more word about Seventh Generation, I swear by their paper products - toilet paper, facial tissues, paper towels, etc. They have the highest post-consumer content of all the recycled paper products on the market, and yet manage to be soft, for the T.P. and tissues, or quite tough, for paper towels.

"Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives." ~ William James (1842 - 1910)