Friday, June 20, 2008

Garden growth

It's as exciting to watch one's garden grow as it is to watch one's kids grow (and you can't eat your kids - or you shouldn't at any rate!). Here are some of our bounty. The first is of one of our apple trees:The summer squash in the greenhouse has a few small fruits ready to be picked:The Shiro plums will turn a pretty, sun-kissed yellow in aother month or so. They are really tasty!Ds#1 took all the photos featured in this particular post. He is becoming quite interested in phtography (the dog is his frequent subject). Here's an "artsy" one of a butterfly (sorry, I don't know my butterflies very well) on a hemp dogbane:We've been having rather lovely weather lately. And because of that, our hilltop get-together with some former members of our literary co-op went quite well last night. Dh build a bonfire when it finally started getting dark and cool around 9:30pm, and we roasted marshmallows, something we hadn't done in years!

Interestingly, a gorgeous looking chocolate ganache cake that one of the moms had bought from our local health food co-op didn't taste half as good as the chocolate truffle cake that I usually make. Makes me really consider selling my baked goods. I'm not as adept with the beautiful finishes, but I'd rather my taste buds be happy than my eyes be happy.

"To accomplish great things, we must dream as well as act." ~ Anatole France (1844 - 1924)