Monday, June 23, 2008

It wasn't just a dream

I've read in many places (and I'm sure many of you can attest to this) that the worst way to way up is in a panic, either induced by your dreams, your crying child, or a loud, obnoxious alarm. The best way is to have a slowly brightening light simulating the rising sun and/or a slowly crescendo-ing, but non-obnoxious sound. The "best way" is also the most expensive way, unless you wake up with natural sunlight, because the faux "sunlight" systems cost a lot.

Our solution is to use a radio alarm tuned to NPR. Not that the news doesn't scare the poop out of me, but the announcers on Morning Edition have such lovely, soothing voices that it's more pleasant to wake up to than the buzzer option. An added bonus is that I catch a bit of news while still half-asleep - it's a lot harder to read the paper when you're half-asleep.

The problem is that sometimes I'm dreaming so deeply that I can't tell if it's something I heard on the news or if it was something I made up in my subconscious.

Take this morning, for example. I thought I had dreamed a whole sequence involving my going to a make-up store and buying some mineral make-up. Turns out, I wasn't dreaming. A search on NPR found this little item on mineral make-up. Whaddya know!

I was interested in the item on NPR because I've been thinking about trying out Bramble Berry's mineral make-up kits. And fad or not, I like the idea of mineral make-up just because it doesn't involve using petroleum or lots of chemicals.

So this post isn't completely serious, here's another wacky pic for everyone:"To accomplish great things, we must dream as well as act." ~ Anatole France (1844 - 1924)