Sunday, June 08, 2008

Photos and meme

Ok, Indiana is officially saturated! Just when we thought we'd been hit badly enough on Wednesday, along comes another storm Friday night/Saturday morning. Luckily, our little dead-end road wasn't flooded this time, but the larger road our street connects to was - at least until noon-ish on Saturday. The guys took a walk out to the main road and ds#1 took a photo of the field across from us that is next to the road. Keep in mind that this was a field. On Saturday morning, it looked like a raging river. Hoo-eee, baby!There are towns close to us, most notably one about a half hour's drive north, that had to be evacuated.

On Thursday, after the first flooding, the kids went to explore the little creek down from our house, taking the dog with them. I thought this was a particularly funny photo of Gali.I had previously posted a photo of the things growing in our greenhouse; this is an updated photo to show much it has all filled in!Ds#1 took a pic of one of our blueberry bushes just loaded with berries. It's hard to see, but trust me, it is loaded. I'll be out there personally wrestling every chipmunk that tries to take off unripen berries. I hate it when they waste food.
So, anyway, as promised to Firefly-Mom, here is my meme for her tag:

What was I doing 10 years ago?
Getting ready to build our current home – talking to the architectural designer, and dreaming.

Five snacks I enjoy:
pickled herring
Shrimp chips
kimchee
potato chips (but I try to eat the organic ones)
pork fuzz (Chinese thing)

Five things on my to-do list today:
clean bathrooms/toilets
do laundry
jog
start on my The Sketchbook Project
do this meme

Things I would do if I were a billionaire:
Set up some sort of annuity type fund that will provide for my favorite charities for years to come.

Invest well to provide for our (mine and dh’s) old age as well as for the kids to go to university.

Put in a *real* pool.

Five jobs I have had:
Research assistant – biopsychology dept
Research assistant – linguistics dept
Office assistant – geography dept
Office assistant – undergraduate library
Research Associate – psychology dept

Five of my bad habits:
1. Oddly enough, this one is exactly the same as Firefly Mom’s: “I bite my cuticles. I've never been a nail biter, but I can't seem to leave my cuticles alone.” And I just looove the part where I bleed profusely from yanking skin out.

2. This one is similar to Firefly Mom’s too. I’m a bibliophile. I buy way more books than I actually get around to reading. When I was the Scholastic book clubs coordinator for my homeschool group, it was like letting an alcoholic into a liquor store unsupervised. And I didn’t even constrain myself by a bookshelf limit. This vice is the bane of dh’s existence.

3. I’m a procrastinator. No, wait, I’m the Queen of Procrastination. I’m setting a bad example for my children.

4. I have no patience and I lack tact.

5. I have my mom's bad temper and I yell a lot. My lucky kids, eh? ;D

Five places I have lived:
Hong Kong
Vancouver
Delaware
Indiana
...uh, I’ve only lived in 4 places, but in sevearl different houses in 3 of the 4 cities though.

Five people I want to get to know better (yes, this means you are tagged!):
I can't decide, but whoever wants to play, please post a comment here so I can come visit you!

Five random things: (since this doesn't say "about me", I'll post 5 truly random things)
1. Many of my friends are either 1) never married, 2) married with no kids, or 3) married with 2 or fewer children.

2. Aside from homonymic (don’t try saying that, you'll just sound drunk) errors lot of people have trouble with these following things:
a) confusing "eager" with "anxious"
b) the proper time and place for "utilize" versus "use"
c) saying re-la-tor instead of re-al-tor for the word "realtor"

3. "Light year" is a unit of length, not a unit of time. It’s the distance that light travels in an earth year.

4. I believe in social and environmental responsibility, and as such, I don’t shop at Wal-Mart and many other “regular” stores. I try to buy from local, indie, and mom-and-pop type places, or go by Co-op America’s National Green Pages for green options. I admit to doing business with Amazon.com probably a bit too often though...that’s my weakness (see #2 of Five of My Bad Habits).

5. Invasive species such as autumn olives are such a dilemma. On the one hand, they are…well, invasive, and can easily crowd out and take over the habitat of native species. On the other hand, they produce a beautiful scent and berries that wildlife love to eat.

"To accomplish great things, we must dream as well as act." ~ Anatole France (1844 - 1924)