Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Surprise!

Gaia's chicks are hatching!! Their birth-date was yesterday, but close enough. We're just happy they hatched at all. The boys checked on her this afternoon and discovered them. I had looked in on her this morning, and they may have already hatched then, but I didn't lift her high enough to see.

Here is one in front of Gaia:I put on gloves so Gaia couldn't peck at my hands as I picked up one of the chicks. They are very curious at this age, and kept getting out from under her to stare at us. I imagine they, like human babies, can't focus very well at this age, but I could be wrong. Here's a better close-up (not blurry):Are they CUTE or what?? :)

So much for trying to make soap this afternoon. I need to go make biscuits for dinner now. The How to Cook Everything book has a very good, and easy, "emergency" drop biscuit recipe.

"To accomplish great things, we must dream as well as act." ~ Anatole France (1844 - 1924)