Monday, August 18, 2008

Have I really been MIA for a week?

At least Diane was out having fun in the sun (or I hope she was...gotta go over and check on her), but I was just - dang, I don't know where my week went. And when I did have a bit of free time where I could post, the bleep-bleep satellite would act up and we couldn't get online.

Mainly, though, I was helping to harvest and process. Here are some of the things from the 'stead.

Wild blackberries (and a handful of blueberries) ready to be frozen. I may have shown this before, but we froze so much of it, I may as well show it again.Our pattypan squashes are beautiful and prolific. I really need to see if any local restaurants want to buy some from us.There's no stopping the summer squash and zucchinis (unless you have some evil vine borers). So, I blanched and dried some.Tomatoes always dry well. We do a ton of them every year (even this year with a low tomatoe yield. We may actually not have enough to can though). We did Roma tomatoes this year in addition to the cherries, regular, and heirlooms.We did take a break last Thursday to hit the State Fair. It was our first time even though we've lived here for 16 years now. I forgot my camera (common refrain), and ds's camera battery started running low, so we didn't take many photos. This one booth caught the boys' attention, though. How on earth does one fry Pepsi, we all wondered.
"To accomplish great things, we must dream as well as act." ~ Anatole France (1844 - 1924)