Saturday, September 13, 2008

I feel like a mad scientist

I've been experimenting with soap for the past, oh gosh, several months, if you count the time I starting thinking about, and conceptualizing in my head, how to bring this soap idea to fruition. It was quite scientific, short of writing equations, in that I formulated the idea, did rough calculations on how much soap is needed for each stage, how much coloring to use, what coloring to use, how it should be set up, etc. etc. My head hurts just thinking back on it. ;>

But, I am thrilled to say: I finally have it done! In fact, I got it done last week, and sent a package off to Anne-Marie, the lovely owner of Bramble Berry, because she gave me the free Wasabi fragrance that was the push to my getting the idea from just a phantom in my sleep-oppressed brain (who's been reading Macbeth? Not I!) to the full-fledged product.

Mind you, it's not perfect. It has some flaws that I'm not happy with, but if I were ever to do it again, I'd know how to correct these flaws, thanks to PJ's soap kit.

So, without making you read any more of my rambling, I'd like to unveil my soap.

This is an in-progress photo. You can see that I used crinkled aluminum foil to approximate the texture of nori:The "mold" I used made a long enough log to cut into 6 pieces of "sushi", so I packaged 2 pieces each into a box. They're more the size of Futomakis than the California rolls size that I was thinking of.The next two photos are just different views.This top-view shows the contents better. The lump of "wasabi" as well as the "pickled ginger" slices are both soap. Only the plastic grass-thing and the container are not made of soap.Here's a piece of "sushi" in my hand to show you how big it is.And finally, the package that I sent to Anne-Marie. I had to stick tissue paper in there so the pickled ginger and wasabi wouldn't fly all over the place while being handled by the ever gentle (hah!) USPS.And there you have it. My creative effort, and my 4th time ever making M&P soap.

"Happiness depends upon ourselves." ~ Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

25 comments:

Joanna said...

T! First of all, you did a beautiful job with your soap. It LOOKS like sushi!! And then your packaging is out of this world. The whole thing...I think you have stumbled on something, dearie... ;)

Teresa R said...

Joanna, thank you! You don't have to say that just to make you adore you more. ;>

Now I'm seized by the fear that I can never duplicate it again.

SpottedCow said...

BRAVO Girlfriend! Your soap looks pretty AWESOME! Of course you will never be able to duplicate it, you'll improve and do better next time ~ and this batch is looking mighty yummy, if you ask me!

Teresa R said...

Thanks, Linda! I appreciate the vote of confidence because I'm not as sure of being able to duplicate it. I didn't have actual molds to work with and never wrote anything down. It's all in me 'ead, as Mr. Tweedy said in Chicken Run. ;D

Suds to Love said...

That is so realistic! Awesome job.

Stace said...

Those are great!! I'd have a problem with wanting to eat them though...suddenly I'm craving California rolls....:-P

Firefly mom said...

Wow! You are so creative. That's not soap - it's art!

sherrieg said...

Wow, lovely! I'm so impressed that you had such a specific vision of what you wanted and did a mighty fine job executing your plan. :)

gracefruit said...

Those are sweet! Very well executed. :)

Teresa R said...

Thanks so much, everyone, for your compliments!

I'd crave a California roll too if I didn't have vivid memories of getting soap all over my hands while working on this. ;>

And I confess that my "vision" started out with wanting to make sushi candles that never happened.

retail retold said...

Oh my gosh Teresa...THIS IS GREAT!!!!! You need to be making more of this! And I agree with SpottedCow...it only gets better from here!!! Yay for you.

Sara said...

Wow! Those are absolutely amazing! And stunning! And very, very cool. But I have to wonder... wasabi fragrance? That's on a whole different planet from the one my brain visits. I'll have to go stick my nose in the wasabi tin and sniff it while I look at the pictures again, just to get the full effect.

Sushi soaps-- I'm so impressed!

stephanie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! The oxidizing is simply for looks. Love the soaps by the way!! <3

Heidi said...

Wow, that is fantastic! I don't have the patience for m&p and can't imagine the time and effort that went into your soap. I don't even know what to say about the packaging. Its just amazing!

Little Shadow Creations said...

~Cute soaps! I bet the wasabi smelled great...Love the chopsticks, nice finishing touch!:)

Carrie said...

Okay, that could be the coolest thing I've ever seen! I WANT SOME!!

Carrie said...

p.s. I was just thinking about these soaps and I came up with a fantastic idea!

I decided that you should do a giveaway with these, but I am the only one who can enter. I know, I admit it--I'm BRILLIANT!! *snicker*

Teresa R said...

Suzanne, I knew it was you all along. ;)

Sara, the Wasabi fragrance is not quite what you'd think. It's a lot more fruity and light than the real thing.

Stephanie, thanks for the answer. Inquiring minds, and all that. ;>

Heidi, CP soap is so much harder, really, so I'm in awe of you and all those who can do that.

Little, I liked the chopsticks on top too...one of my better ideas for the year. ;D

Carrie, that is flattering coming from you who can create a FAVICON...I'm so not worthy.

Thanks, ladies!

Teresa R said...

Carrie, LOLOL!! I had thought about doing a giveaway, actually. If I did, it'd be a Christmas/holiday one, to make it extra special.

Annie said...

how cool! What a good idea. I love the new photo on your header. :)

diane said...

They look good enough to eat! Maybe not.... :-)

I'm back, with lots to catch up on, you have been doing wonderful things while I have been away!

Heather@Twin Birch said...

Those are FAAABULOUS!!! You are a rock star!!! I'm also craving sushi, which is 60 miles away from me *sniff*!

thank you for the book!!!! I LOVE IT!!!(almost as much as your sushi soap!) xoxox Heather

Abby said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the sushi soap! You are so crafty!

Emily ~ Little Window Shoppe said...

I had no idea that there was so much behind making soap! AND I am so impressed with your sushi soap product!!! It's beautiful and creative. Great work.

Teresa R said...

I'd like to say my back's a bit sore from all the patting I'm getting, but it's kind of getting used to it and enjoying it. ;D

Annie, thanks...it's not as pretty as your photos, but I think ds#1 is getting the hang of photography.

Diane, welcome back! I've missed you (even though we catch up on FB).

Abby, oh pshaw! ;>

Emily, I think cold-processed soaps are much harder in that it's a more exact science. Melt and Pour soaping is more like cooking, which Cold Process is more like baking...a lot more precision is required. I'm working my way up to it.