Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Happy New Year...and all that!

Yikes, it's nearly the end of 2008; how did that happen?

I've been thinking for a while now about resolutions. No, not that kind of resolution. You know, the kind that are more often broken than kept?

Similar to the idea of National Novel Writing Month, and other such publicly announced projects, you tell the whole world about your resolutions because embarrassment of not upholding them is the carrot that will lead you to your goals.

I'm not so sure that embarrassment is a motivating factor for me. Really. I find that the older I get, the less easily embarrassed I get.

Still, I have a few (and getting fewer every year) goals I'd like to achieve in 2009, and I'll share a small percentage of that few with you (like holiday newsletters, the longer the post, the more audience you lose).

1) In my continuing quest for happiness, I'll attempt to continue my gratitude journal (which I had let drop a while back). The difference this year is that rather than trying to write 5 things every night, I will comment on one to three items every Thursday - my Thankful Thursday, if you will. I enjoyed playing Thursday Thirteen for a while, but I had to face the fact that my little brain isn't capable of conceiving 13 things for any given topic, let alone every week...for an entire year.

2) I will resume my exercise routine alternating yoga with walking/running. I actually got a head start on this and have been doing it for almost a week now, trying to pick up where I left off half a year ago.

3) I will devote a half hour (or more) to a creative pursuit every day. This can be writing, painting/drawing, or knitting, or whatever.

4) I will try my darndest to speak civilly and kindly to my family all the time (I'll go to Lisa's Perpetual Joy blog for inspiration).

5) This is not a true resolution, but an experiment. In the grand tradition of Buy Nothing Day/Year, I am going to attempt this for three months, assessing the situation month by month. I'm allowing for staples and supplies for the biz, but aside from that, nothing.

OK, my eyes are glazing over, so I know yours must be too, and I'll take a hint to stop here. I had thought about "spending less time on the computer" as a resolution, but I'd said that before in years past, and you probably know by my presence online how well that one took. Not.

I wish you all a very happy, healthy, and fulfilling 2009! I intend to follow the examples of all your wonderful blogs that I read and carpe annum!

"The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet." ~ James Oppenheim