Thursday, January 15, 2009

Thankful Thursday

Again already?? I'm having deja vu (without the proper accents).

Has everyone else's week flown by as fast? Whoosh! Or is that BOOM?! It feels like it went by faster than the speed of sound. It couldn't have gone by faster than the speed of light or this post would weigh more than the planet. What? You are tired of physics jokes, you say?

All right. Before I tell you what I'm grateful for this week, I'd like to quote from the book "Simple Abundance" by Sarah Ban Breathnach:

"Happiness that the world cannot take away only flourishes in the secret garden of our souls....Ultimately, genuine happiness can only be realized once we commit to making it a personal priority in our lives."

This week, I am thankful for

1) indoor plumbing! No kidding. Every day, I wake up grateful that we have indoor plumbing. I think it's one of those great things that so many people take for granted, like oxygen to breathe (especially the unpolluted stuff), and clean water at our disposal, usually without have to walk several miles to carry home and at a ridiculously low price for its true worth.

That said, I'm also thankful that we have an outhouse on the hilltop for a little privacy when communing with nature. Here it is, as modeled by the boys, when dh was building it:2) my panic mode. Not "Don't Panic" in large friendly letters, but actual panic mode as in raised adrenaline levels and sick feeling in the stomach.

And why am I thankful for my panic mode? Because it usually reminds me to evaluate (or re-re-re-etc.evaluate) my priorities and not spend as much time on things that don't make me happy in the long run, or that take time away from being with the boys while they're still young and homeschooled.

What are you thankful for this week?

"He is happiest, be he king or peasant, who finds peace in his home." ~ Johann von Goethe