Sunday, March 01, 2009

Some things are better left un-eaten

Reading the always hilarious Lisa Yee's blog (she's the author of the funny book, Millicent Min, Girl Genius), where you can follow the publishing world adventures of Peepy, reminded me that I had forgotten to post about my own Peeps experience.

Not wanting to deprive my kids of some pop culture, I bought them a pack of Peeps to try. Before we were even out of the store, ds#1 took the package from me and started reading the ingredients."Tartrazine, mom," he said (which is the name of the Yellow coloring in the product), "has been known to cause hyperactivity in children, as well as other worse side-effects." And it went down-hill from there.

"But you have to try some to experience it!" I said.

They both gave me baleful looks as though I were trying to poison them. With much coercion, I got them to split one, and I had to eat the 4 others in the package. I admit eating 4 Peeps all by myself made me a bit ill (and yes, I did spread it out over 2 days). It really is not good eats. In the meantime, the kids ate the much pricier Green & Black's chocolate bars...remind me not to immerse them in pop culture again.

"He is happiest, be he king or peasant, who finds peace in his home." ~ Johann von Goethe