Saturday, August 15, 2009

Because my brain is in the shop...

...I'm going to subject you to some random firings of the handful of neurons they left behind to hold me through the week. :}

We had a couple of weird and unexpected hail storms a couple of weeks ago. The one that woke us up in the middle of the night produced marble-sized hail. (Incidentally, the leaves are large sycamore leaves, not maple leaves, so the hail is bigger than you think) -While Annie (Imagine & Create) is watching out for polar bears - doesn't that sound exotic? - we're watching out for the copperheads that have decided to take up residence under our blueberry bushes right next to the house:I just saw some pretty tomatoes over at Cake's blog (Rake Shovel Hoe), which reminded me that I'd taken photos of our own red beauties:
And while we're on the subject of veggies, I had the kids harvest about 10 pounds of corn yesterday. After I shucked them, I decided that they were too pretty to go without a photo:A few weeks ago, dh decided to try making a ratatouille because we were over-run with eggplants. Before baking:
After bakng: It looked better than it tasted, so he went back to making borani with the eggplants we harvested later.

This year has been a bumper-crop year for chanterelle mushrooms. This is just one of the many grocery bagfuls dh and the boys harvested:After cleaning the bag of 'shrooms up, and laying them out to dry:Dh cooked them various ways: sauteed in butter, sauteed with green beans, and, my favorite way, cream of mushroom soup!

It's been too hot to do much baking lately, but we had a piece of carrot cake for dessert when we had lunch with my FIL over at his assisted living home, and that got us hankering for more, so I made one. It was very tasty!Do you have any odd, random thoughts for me? Any grand plans for the rest of the weekend? I hope to read the wonderful stories that Blonde Duck (A Duck in Her Pond) sent my way as part of the gift swap back in July!

Happy Sunday to you!

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams