Monday, April 30, 2012

This old thang?

My MIL loved antiques. I have fond memories of going to the Bloomington Antique Mall with her whenever she and my FIL visited us. I'd not been in a while, but my friend Y suggested a trip there, and I had tons of fun with her.

Saw a cabbage shredder - for sauerkraut - that looked nearly identical to the one hubby has, handed down from his great-grandfather.
This little phalic thingy is a...hog scraper! Could you have guessed?
But the thing that caught my eye the most was the kidney-shaped desk.
I really wanted this, but, alas, have no actual need for it.

We also have some nifty old stuff in our house, besides me and hubby. They have sentimental value as they come from hubby's ancestors. This is a washboard that hubby's paternal grandmother actually used:
Other well-used items are from, if I'm not mistaken, hubby's maternal grandmother. Her tennis racquet:
and her rug beater:
Let's just say I'm glad to have a washing machine and a vacuum, as well as a tennis racquet that is not made of wood.

Do you like to collect antiques...or at least like to watch the Antiques Roadshow?

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams