Monday, October 15, 2012

Fall harvests

This post is dedicated to my mom who passed away on Oct. 23 of 2010. She loved gardening and was always hugely enthusiastic about hubby's gardening endeavors. I think I have a photo of her, when she visited us one year, helping to pick hickory nuts meat out of the hickory trees that grow on our property. It's very cute. If I find it, I'll post it next time.

-------

So it's officially autumn and we've had two frosts. But, thanks to floating row covers, we still have a good bit of veggies to harvest.

Yesterday, hubby picked the following goodies: from back to front - choi sum, green onions, celery, and dill.
We froze the choi sum for later, but hubby put the other three things into salmon cakes (it was what's for dinner!).

He also harvested salad makings: spinach, leaf lettuce, and bib lettuce. Here they are all shredded up in the spinner.
I love still being to eat from our own garden this time of year!

Are you harvesting anything tasty from your garden? If you are, tell me what you're growing. If not, I encourage you to grow a fall garden next year.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams