Monday, July 15, 2013

Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pie - yummers!

Tis the season for pie! Well, every season is a season for pie. Since I've not posted a recipe in a while, and because Amber begged threatened asked me nicely for the recipe, making a spectacle of herself on my Facebook page, here it is.

I bought a lot of peanut butter recent (freshly ground from our health food store) and decided to try a new recipe. It's from the Better Homes & Garden New Cook Book, and turned out to be one of the best dessert pies I've had.

Don't judge it by the photo, which doesn't look too great, but, trust me, it is delicious!
Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pie
1 pie crust of your choice (the BH&G cookbook suggested their chocolate wafer crust but I used a regular pie crust because that's my favorite)

1 8-oz pkg cream cheese, softened (I used an equivalent amount of mascarpone cheese)
3/4 C peanut butter
1 C powdered sugar
2 T milk
1 t vanilla
1 C whipping cream
2 T powdered sugar
3/4 C mini semisweet chocolate pieces (I used bittersweet chocolate chips)

1.  Prepare crust and set aside. Chill a medium mixing bowl and beaters.

2. For filling in a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and peanut butter until smooth. Add the 1 C powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla; beat until combined.

3. In the chilled mixing bowl, beat whipping cream and the 2 T powdered sugar with the chilled beaters of an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gently fold about 1/3 of the whipped cream into the peanut butter mixture. Fold remaining whipped cream and mini chocolate pieces into peanut butter mixture. Spoon into the crust. If desired, sprinkle with coarsely chopped peanuts. Cover and chill about 2 hours or until set.

Will you try making this? If you = Amber, then, I know the answer is yes. Hah! If you do, let me know how you like it!

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams