Monday, August 26, 2013

Cooking with cherries

We rarely have leftover sweet cherries but this batch was not as sweet as some so I decided to bake with them for a change.

I made Cherry Revel Bars, a recipe I've had for a long time but never tried out. A visiting friend loved them, and Alison, of Doodle Day fame, saw the photo I posted on Facebook and asked for the recipe too. So, here you go:

Cherry Revel Bars

1 C butter, divided
2.5 C packed brown sugar, divided (I used about half that amount)
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
4 eggs, divided
1.5 t vanilla, divided
2.5 C all-purpose flour, divided
1.5 C quick-cooking rolled oats
6 oz bittersweet chocolate chopped (I used some chocolate chips)
2 C (10oz) fresh sweet cherries, pitted
1/2 C slivered toasted almonds

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line 13x9x2 inch baking pan with foil and set aside. In mixing bowl, beat 1/2 C of the butter on medium high for 30 seconds. Add 1 C brown sugar, the baking soda, and salt. Beat until combined. Beat in 1 egg and 1/2 t if vanilla. Beat or stir in 1/4 C flour. Stir in oats. Set aside.

2. For filling, in saucepan stir remaining brown sugr and 1/2 C butter over medium heat until combined. Cool slightly. Stir in 3 eggs and 1 t vanilla. Lightly beat with wooden spoon. Stir in remaining 1.25 C flour and the chocolate.

3. Set aside 3/4 C oats mixture. Press remaining in pan. Spread filling; top with cherries. Dot with reserved oats mixture and sprinkle nuts. Bake 25 minutes until top is golden brown and filling moist. Cool on rack 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

4. Lift from pan; cut with serrated knife. Store, covered, at room temp (I like it cold in the summer and stored it in the fridge).

Enjoy!

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams