Monday, March 17, 2014

Eggs, eggs, and more eggs

**Thanks to Yvonne for making me realize I spelled "yolk" wrong. In my defense, I had a loooong day out yesterday and found out at the end of the day that I never did finish writing my post and schedule it (I'd uploaded the photos and totally forgot about the post...genius), so I rushed to post it. Things are corrected now! How embarrassing. :)

We currently have 15 hens, the most we've ever had (well, 16 is the most we've ever had, but Brody was picked off by a hawk not too long ago).

Because our hens are a variety of mutts (even Ameraucanas are really "mutts"), the eggs they lay are nicely varied too, ranging from light pink to dark olive.
Not only do they have a range of colors, but they also have a range of sizes. Some measure longer than 3 inches!
Recently, we've had a couple of eggs that were not only long but also massive in girth. One is in the upper left of this photo:
We speculated that those eggs would be double-yolkers, and sure enough... See the middle egg in the pan:
In the 12 years we've owned chickens, we'd only gotten double-yolkers a couple of times. But within the past month, we've had 2 of them. Hmmm, methinks we have a mutant hen on our hands. Call Professor Xavier!

Have you had any double-yolked eggs lately?

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams