Monday, August 18, 2014

A lesson in neuropsychology

It's not always fun and games around here, you know; sometimes, you have to learn something. Oh, who am I kidding: learning IS fun and games and it's the best part of being alive! I have to read about at least one new thing a day (and why I keep trying to pick up new hobbies like some people pick up stray animals...it beats picking up bad habits).

So, today, I'm going to share a couple of interesting links with you. And I'm compelled to do it because people harbor false "facts," e.g. humans only use 10% of their brains (WRONG!).
Another myth that gets perpetuated is one about a person being either left-brain/right brain. So, if you're one of those who believe this, head over to NeuroLogica's blog and read why it's not true.

I guess part of the problem is that our brains aren't very reliable.

For a fun course about memory, what it is (and it's not a single, specific thing), what our misconceptions are about it, and how to improve it, I highly recommend The Great Course's series, "Memory and the Human Lifespan."

Okay, that's the lesson for the day; now go and have a great week! :)

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams