Monday, September 15, 2014

Grand-nola!

Easy Granola

I don't like store-bought cereal. First of all, I feel like they're unnecessarily processed. Secondly, unless you get bulk cereal, it's a lot of packaging - bags inside boxes. Thirdly, many are either too dry or not substantial enough.

I prefer to make my own granola. It's easy and tastes so much better! You might have a recipe that you like, but if not, here's one you can try. It's my favorite.


3 C rolled oats
1 C sunflower seeds
½ C pumpkin seeds
½ C almonds (or your nut of choice)
½ C coconut flakes
1 T cinnamon
2 T vegetable oil
½ C blue agave syrup or maple syrup
¼ C honey
½ dried cranberries or raisins (optional; I never put any in)

Preheat oven to 350.

Lightly grease a baking sheet. Or, as I've discovered, see photo, using my long neglected Silpat baking sheet is even more perfect as I don't have to grease anything and it prevented the granola from sticking.

Combine all of the dry ingredients in a bowl, except the cranberries.

Combine all of the wet ingredients in a small measuring cup and add to the dry ingredients. (Rather than washing yet another cup, I eye-ball the wet ingredients and put them in one at a time before stirring it all up.)

Mix well and spread evenly over the baking sheet.

Bake for about 30 minutes, until the granola looks brown and crunchy. I often give it a stir half-way through as the coconut flakes tend to burn.

Add cranberries if desired after taking it out of the oven.

Enjoy! Let me know if you try it or if you have a good recipe you'd like to share. :)

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams