Monday, January 26, 2015

Book Love Blog Hop

I've agreed to do a rare blog hop because it's about books, and because the lovely Cathy Ballou Mealey asked. :)
The idea is the brainchild of Carrie Finison and it's to highlight books that you think deserve more recognition than they're getting. Participants are to:
"Post reviews for the books you chose on Amazon/social media. The reviews can be brief - even a short review on Amazon helps. Posting on Goodreads or Shelfari is great, too, or Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, etc." and link back to Carrie's blog.

I would like to highlight four of my favorite books:
Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams - the rather depressing topic of species going extinct is covered by Adams in his characteristic droll British style
The Cosmic Code by Heinz Pagels - a very well written book for the lay person on quantum physics; my only beef is that there are virtually no equations in it
Half Magic by Edward Eager - Eager was inspired by the tales of E. Nesbit to write tales that are equally magical and fun for the upper elementary set. I find his writing more accessible than Nesbit's
The Chrysalids by John Wyndham - not nearly as well-known as Day of the Trifid by Wyndham, this book is a memorable post-apocalyptic story that has a hopeful ending

I want to point out here something that some of you may not realize, which is that a 5-star rating on Amazon is equivalent to a 4-star rating on Goodreads.

If you'd like to play along, please let me know as I'd like to check out your choices. Also, if you're not already friends with me on Goodreads, please friend me! I like to see what others are reading. I think my moniker is "writer64" there.

Have a great week!

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams