Monday, March 16, 2015

Coffee Cloud Cake

Because our chickens have finally started laying again - molting is such a pain - we have a lot of excess eggs. I have, therefore, been in search of recipes that use a lot of eggs.

There is a yummy sounding recipe in the New Good Housekeeping Cookbook called Coffee Cloud Cake that uses 6 eggs, so I decided to give it a try.

It turned out pretty darned tasty, and because some friends on Facebook asked for the recipe, I'm sharing it here.
Coffee Cloud Cake

6 eggs, separated, at room temperature
1/2 t cream of tartar
Sugar
2 C AP flour
1 C strong cold coffee
1 T baking powder
1 t vanilla extract
1/2 t salt
4 oz walnuts, finely chopped

1. In large bowl, at high speed, beat egg white and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Beating at high speed, sprinkle in 1/2 C sugar (I use about 1/3 C instead), 2 T at a time; beat until sugar is dissolved and whites stand in stiff peaks.

2. Preheat oven to 350F. In another bowl, on medium speed, beat 1 1/2 C sugar (I used a bit over 3/4 C only) and egg yolks with flour, coffee, baking powder, vanilla extract and salt until light and fluffy. With rubber spatula or wire whisk, gently fold flour mixture and nuts into beaten egg whites until just blended:

3. Pour batter into ungreased 10" tube pan. Bake 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes, until cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert cake in pan on funnel or bottle; cool completely in pan. With metal spatula, carefully loosen cke from pan; place on cake plate. Because I can't be bothered washing too any things, I just left the cake in the pan.

I still prefer citrus chiffon cake (which I might make this coming week), but this did smell incredible when it was baking! I think it would taste even better with a bit of chocolate or coffee whipped cream.

Let me know if you try this!

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams