Friday, September 22, 2017

Sour grapes...make good jelly

A dear friend of ours, Carol, gave us a grape plant that she had an extra of. We had previously planted grapes but between the deer and possibly too-wet soil, they all died off with nothing to show for our efforts.

This new plant did surprisingly well this year. They were so cute on the vine:
All 3 pounds of it picked:
 The messy juicing process...the is the remainder that we fed to the chickens:
I forgot to take a photo of the juice before popping it into the freezer...to wait until cooler weather to make jelly.
So far this year, I've made many jars of marmalade, one batch of strawberry jam, and one batch of Autumn Olive jelly. I'm waiting until late fall to make grape and blackberry jellies. What is your favorite jam or jelly?

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams