Sunday, October 22, 2006

Culling, mulling

The culling went as well as could be expected yesterday. The first rooster managed to flap out of the restraining cone after getting the throat slit, but, otherwise, things were fairly smooth going. Can't say it was fun, but it sure made us feel like old time folks pre-supermarket days when meats didn't come in some styrofoam-plastic wrapped packages.

As for mulling, I've been thinking of how I'd never been able to "get into" online communities. I know some people really seem to connect with others through them, but they always end up disappointing me (hmm, harking back to my previous post). Recent case in point is the e-group supposedly for support for working farmcollies owners. The pup has her ups and downs, but she is a baby/toddler, afterall, and I forgive her misunderstandings. The list has impressed me less than she has. Maybe my expectations for most people are set too high?

Our friend C.P. is an exception, though; she never ceases to amaze me with her vast knowledge and wisdom and sense of responsibility. :)

"To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge." ~ Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881)