Saturday, June 09, 2007

Savoring being back home...

...if only for a month before heading off again.

Gaia hatched a total of 5 chicks, 2 of which died. Our poor friends/neighbors had to deal with one of the dead chicks. I hope they got plenty of fresh eggs and veggies from our garden to compensate for putting up with the smell and ickiness. We asked for that sort of smelly farm life, but they didn't, but they sure are good sports about helping us out whenever we're out of town, which is often. I hope they won't move to Germany; we'll miss them a bunch.

I think we're pretty much caught up with the weeding now, at least for a little while. Dh is still planting regularly. The bleep-bleep voles keep eating our corn seeds. Dh says he may resort to starting seedlings and transplanting. I don't know if he's joking or not because I don't know if corn is amenable to that process.

While in Delaware, I saw a program on C-Span which featured a talk by Barbara Kingsolver. She was reading some excerpts, with accompanying slides, from her new book, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. As with all her books, it sounds highly readable and intelligent. I'll have to check it out. Our library is ordering copies, but there are already 49 holds on it. It's a sure sign of living in a progressive small town. Ah, I noticed the large print edition only has 3 holds. I'll go for that. My aging eyes will thank me for it.

"To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge." ~ Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881)