Friday, May 25, 2007

Spring chicken

...as in "I'm no --", but enough of my bad jokes. ;)

I realized I haven't written about the homestead in the last couple of posts, and need to remedy that.

So, the spring chicken - or chick - in the subject line really exists. Our friend Carol has a broody Black Star hen that hatched out 7 (I think) chicks for her, but she really didn't want anymore, and there were still many eggs underneath the hen (due to other hens sneaking into the same nest box and laying their eggs there), so she offered this hen, now named Gaia courtesy of ds#1, to us and a couple of days ago: voila! new chick.

Speaking of ds#1, he'd have a conniption at my extremely long, rambling sentence. He's such a grammar cop.

Life on the farm is getting interesting again.

"To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge." ~ Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881)