Friday, July 20, 2007

Beans, glorious beans

(photo: dear sis on the left, dh and kids riding bikes in Steveston, BC)

I know I wax poetic every year about the green beans. Luckily, I'm senile enough that I don't fully remember what I said or if I really said anything aloud or wrote anything down; I merely have a vague memory of gushing about them, and so I gush about them again.

I spent about 1.5 hours picking our gorgeous green beans yesterday and only got through about half of the crop. Dh planted bush beans this year (for the umpteenth year) because he doesn't have to build a trellis for them. But, picking bush beans is back breaking work. I tell him I am going to attempt to build a trellis with my non-existent carpentry skills for next year because my poor aging back can't take much more of this.

Picking beans with someone else is actually a lot of fun. We try to out-do each other by finding the perfect bean. "Is this the most perfect bean you've ever laid eyes on?" "Yeah, that's pretty nice, but, oh, look at this one!" And on it goes. Speaking of which, I should probably go hang up the second load of laundry and pick some more beans.

The Vancouver trip was really nice. I need to spend more time with the parental units though. I feel bad that when we go to DE, when my FIL was living at home, we had every meal with him, even though we took short day trips here and there. In Vancouver, we probably spend more time out with friends than we should, depriving my mom of our (ahem) wonderful company and the company of her (ahem) equally wonderful grandkids.

I sure miss my sister, too, when we leave. I'm looking forward to her visit in the fall.

"To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge." ~ Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881)