Saturday, August 25, 2007

Party on...or not

It's hard to be an introvert. Partying just wear me out, and that's after the first 5 minutes...then there was another 3 hours to go. Dh is like that too. Plus, the ragweed outbreak right now isn't helping any. Luckily, the boys seemed to have a decent time. Oh, and remind me not to serve meat that needs to be cooked at an outdoor party. ;)

We had a funny conversation with one of dh's colleagues at the party. I mentioned how many times we've canned tomatoes in the past week, and he said (with perhaps mock surprise), "you can??" "Yeah, we can," I said. "Are you Mormon?" he asked. "Uh, no," I said. "Why?" "Because I don't know anyone who cans besides Mormons. It's in the Mormon creed to keep a year's worth of food in the house." "Well," I said, "I believe that's part of the Atheist creed too, to keep a year's supply of food in the house. Uh, yeah, that's it." Honestly, it doesn't take religion to have good, common, survivalist sense.

As it turns out, at least a couple of graduate students in the department also grow and can their own foods. It's just us wacky homesteading-wanna-be types.

"To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge." ~ Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881)