Thursday, October 18, 2007

Homeschooling is working!

While reading an issue of Scientic American this morning, our 11 year old was reminded of an incident in one of their music theory classes.

He said that the teacher asked if anyone knows what "calando" means, and nobody did. So then he gave them a clue and asked if they knew what "calorie" meant. Ds#1 was the only one in the class who did (and half the class are teenagers). He said that a calorie is a unit of heat...or, specificially, the amount of energy it takes to raise the temperature of an amount of water (he did forget it was 1 gram, but I forgive him since I thought a calorie is what makes you fat...haha) one degree celcius.

I am impressed that he knew it, and also that the music teacher knew it (not trying to imply that musicians are dumb!). I can't pat myself on the back that the teacher is smart, but I'll take some credit for ds being smart (well, ok, most of the smart genes are from dh; maybe I'll just take credit for his good looks instead *grin*).

"To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge." ~ Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881)