Saturday, April 05, 2008

Nerdy fun

Some parents take their kids to lazer tag and Chuck E. Cheese; I take the kids to an academic talk and ethnic dining.

Yesterday, dh had commitments to the departmental colloquium and a dinner with the speaker afterwards, so I took the boys out on a (homeschool) date, just the 3 of us.

After the kids' piano lessons, we headed to a talk called "Living and Laughing by The Chopsticks-Fork Principle: A Course in Diversity" given by Cathy Bao Bean (the sister of Betty Bao Lord). It was basically about getting in touch with, and embracing, our inner multiculturalism, and maintaining our sense of humor.

We had a great time at this colloquium. Ms. Bean is one of the funniest speakers I've ever heard; ds#1 cracked up a lot, and that's unsual for this kid, Mr. Serious. Her topic resonated with me, and I plan to get her book, The Chopsticks-Fork Principle: A Memoir and Manual. If she hadn't run over time, I would have stayed to get an autographed copy.

Luckily, the kids and I slipped out as soon as the talk ended because the restaurant we went to, Siam House, was already pretty full when we got there and became packed mid-way through our meal - it was a Friday night, after all. The kids both had pad thai, ds#1 with calamari, and ds#2 with shrimp. I had a dish I can't pronounce nor remember the name of, but it has the most delectable seasonings: fish sauce, cilantro, Thai basil, ginger...yum!!

All in all, a fabulous night of nerdy fun!

"To accomplish great things, we must dream as well as act." ~ Anatole France (1844 - 1924)