Thursday, October 30, 2008

Happy Halloween!

I'd mentioned to Emily over at The Little Window Shoppe that I thought a fun Halloween post would be to show photos of my kids' Halloweens Past - all the costumes they had worn. So here they are...

Ds#1 at about 10 months old as Superbaby (easiest costume on Earth or Krypton to make):The next year, I made ds#1 a Gingerbread-boy costume, and we even won a prize for it, but I couldn't find the photo of him (but you'll see it below when ds#2 wore it).

After that, because all second children must wear hand-me-downs, ds#2 was Superbaby, and ds#1 got the nifty new ladybug costume:
The year after, ds#1 wanted a Scooby-Doo costume - that one was a bit of a challenge for me as I had to free-hand draw Scooby's face. Ds#2 wore ds#1's old Gingerbread-boy costume.Ds#1, continuing his trend of making me sew difficult costumes, wanted to be a goldfish for Halloween that year. Nobody, but nobody, sells patterns for a goldfish costume. Thank goodness felt is a forgiving medium. Ds#2, natch, wore ds#1's old ladybug costume.The following year, I got off easy. Ds#2 wore the old Scooby costume, and ds#1 wanted to be a zombie! So I tore up some clothes and put face paint on him. Works for me!The final year the kids dressed up, my sister's husband, bless his thrift-shop loving heart, found an elephant costume for us. Yessss!! Ds#1 decided he'd like to be a LEGO brick. Luckily, I found instructions for how to make one at About.com.And that was it. After that, we did treasure hunts at home where the kids didn't have to dress up, and where we gave them treats such as books and small packets of LEGOs. They claim to love that much more than they ever liked trick-or-treating, which is great because it saved me from ever having to sew or create a costume again.

Wishing eveyrone a safe, happy Halloween!

"The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet." ~ James Oppenheim