Sunday, December 21, 2008

Holiday reflections

The holidays, especially Thanksgiving and Christmas, revolve around the idea of family. Having dh's brother's family in town yesterday (they were here to visit dh's dad, not us specifically) reminded me of what my dear friend, D, always said: friends are sometimes tons better than family. D has horrific stories to prove it in her case.

Family, both blood and by marriage, has people that you love as much as you love yourself, but it can also have people that you'd never go out of your way to be friends with if you met them in some other situation in life.

Anyway, that is my round-about way of saying to the friends I've made online through blogging, as well as my good friends in real life, that I adore and cherish all of you, as much as, and in some cases, more so than, some of my family members! :)

I'll be posting again before January 1st, but would like to take a break for a bit, so in the meantime, I want to wish all of you a Happy Hanukkah, Happy Winter Solstice, Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanzaa, and Happy Islamic New Year - whichever holiday you celebrate!

I don't have cute videos for all the holidays, but wanted to leave you with a clever one I saw at The Artist's Magazine blog:



"The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet." ~ James Oppenheim