Saturday, July 25, 2009

Dim the lights, here come the vacation photos

...don't fall alseep! ;)

I was going to post these in chronological order, but really, there's no reason to. Hope you'll like our photos of our Vancouver trip!

This is a view of Tower Trail, leading down to Tower Beach (a clothing optional beach next to Wreck Beach, a nude beach, which is, interestingly, right by my alma mater, The University of British Columbia). I wasn't on this hike, deciding to peruse the UBC bookstore instead.A photo of me and one of my most favorite people in the entire world, my sister - we're outside of Salmon House on the Hill, North Vancouver, after a delicious dinner:We took a walk to Chinatown one day (approximately an 8 mile jaunt from my parents' house). This is a photo of the Dr. Sun Yat Sen Chinese Classical Gardens where I used to work as a docent:Also in Chinatown is this fairly new Shanghai Alley which has posters detailing the varied history of Chinese immigrants to this area, both the shameful prejudice and happier times:The new gateway to Chinatown, made to resemble the one in San Francisco, CA. And speaking of things Chinese, here's a sampling of food we had while dining at one of the many, many Chinese restaurants in Vancouver. Sorry to gross some of you out with the chicken head. The plate in the back has one of the kids' favorite dishes: jellyfish.It'd been a while since dh and I had tripe, and the boys don't remember eating it at all, so my parents ordered it at dim sum one day (this is actually both tripe and beef tendon):Dh dropped me and my sis at Deep Cove to shop and chat while he and the boys went hiking on Dog Mountain (Mt Seymour). What a vista!This next pic was taking on Robson street and is for my cupcake-loving blogpals. You'll have to click on the photo to enlarge, but the cute pink awning says "Cupcakes"! I just wish I was allowed to venture in...One of British Columbia's many stunning coastal forests:At Granville Island Public Market, in addition to serious crowds, you can also find a number of interesting food items...such as dinosaurs...LOL!No visit to Vancouver is complete without a walk at Stanley Park. Here we are near Third Beach:For those of you Battlestar Galactica fans (the recent show, not the one from the 70s), tell me if you recognize this scene, and if those are Cylon skin jobs or real humans (hah!):For ds#1, a trip to Vancouver just would not be complete without a photo (or 10) of banana slugs. I'll spare you most of them, but thought that those of you who like this sort of stuff might want to check out the giants we find out on the West Coast. Dh held a quarter next to it for size comparison.And that's it for my July vacation. How was your month and did you do anything exciting? I'll be slowly making my way around your blogs again, so see you there!

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams