Wednesday, July 01, 2009

There are berries, and then there are berries

Had just finished reading Cake's latest blog post about differentiating between wild black raspberries and wild blackberries when my boys came back from their walk with the dog and handed me a handful of both! So, I took some photos to share the difference.

From the back, you can already see minor differences between the two. The one on the left is the black raspberry and the one on the right is the blackberry:Aside from the fact that black raspberries ripen about a month or so earlier than blackberries (we have, obviously, a few early blackberries), once you pick them, you can see their difference from the inside. The black raspberries are hollow inside:Blackberries retain vestiges of the stem:Hey, this qualifies as a Random Tuesday fact! ;)

Have you been harvesting wild, or otherwise, berries too?

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams