Thursday, September 17, 2009

Thankful Thursday

This Thursday, I am thankful just to be alive. Yup.

Dh's colleague, a mere two years into his retirement, died this past Monday. He was fighting colon cancer, but it was still unexpected in that he was just finished with chemo and seemed to be doing well.

The last conversation I had with J must have been about a year ago, and I remember it with a smile because he was joking, in his dry way, about Las Vegas, and people jumping out of cakes, and how it'd be cheaper to farm it out. We'll miss J.

Anyway, dh and I are trying to keep in mind that one must enjoy oneself before retirement, and that every day is a good day to carpe diem.

Another thing I'm thankful for are friends who think highly of me. Meg (Get In, Hang On) nominated me for an award. I highly doubt I'll win - there are some seriously good homeschooling blogs out there - but as those humble *ahem* thespians intone again and again at award shows: It's an honor just to be nominated. ;)

A third thing to be thankful for: we have salad greens again! Summer killed them, but we now have our fall crop ready to go. Tonight, we had egg salad on our green. Eggs, peppers, celery, greens - all from our garden:I took a bunch of photos of our garden and our chickens to show you, but I'm saving that for later. In the meantime, you can admire our fake farmyard friends. I know Blonde Duck will appreciate this:What are you thankful for this week?

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams