Thursday, April 29, 2010

Wildflowers

Because I have a knack for procrastination, I tend to write about things long after the fact, so here it is, nearly summer, and I've just finished working on my spring wildflower post.

About half of these photos were taken on our property, and the other half were taken at Carter Caves State Park in KY. We love the way native wildflowers herald Spring, but it's taken us a while to learn even just a small handful of them. We use the National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Wildflowers and also Newcomb's Wildflower Guide.

This is a Common Blue Violet:What I originally thought was just a mutation of the Common Blue Violet turns out to be the Northern White Violet:
I think this is the Smooth Yellow Violet, but I'm not positive:
Cutleaf Toothwort:
This looks suspiciously like Garlic Mustard; if anyone knows for sure, please tell me!
Rue Anemone:
I haven't a clue what this one is, so, again, if someone knows, please tell me. :)
Dutchman's Breeches:
Spring Beauty:
Wild Blue Phlox:
This looks similar to the above phlox, but has split petals and looks like an odd cross between the Wild Blue Phlox and the Ragged Robin:
Large-flowered Trillium:
This grape hyacinth is not in the hyacinth family, and, alas, is not even native to North America (it originated in the Mediterranean region), but it does cheer us up with its pretty color every spring:
Even a dandelion can be beautiful. While many consider this a weed, it is actually a lovely plant, full of uses. We just don't particularly want it in our garden beds where we're trying to grow another vegetable.
The kids want to make sure I include the Daisy Fleabane**. They have a most peculiar saying and habit. Whenever they see these, they say, "Daisy Fleabane: must whack", and then proceed to hack it off with a stick (or at least they used to). Yes, I'm well aware my children are insane. ;D
**Apparently, Daisy Fleabane is another name for Philadelphia Fleabane. Ds#1 noted that this year's crop is a very pink variation on the other years'. Not sure why though. Oh, and for those in Indiana, here's a quick guide to some common wildflowers: http://www.huntington.edu/thornhill/checklist/commonwildflowers.htm

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams