Friday, May 21, 2010

Egg noodles...easy and delish!

I'd talked about it for years and everyone I've ever spoken to about it said it is incredibly easy, so I have nothing to blame but my own lazy butt for not trying it sooner. And, yes, I agree: it is incredibly easy to make your own noodles!

Dh was wanting to make beef stroganoff, so I set out to make egg noodles. I searched online and looked a number of recipes, eventually settling on mixture of two different ones (from About.com, Cooks.com and from CDKitchen). I ended up using 2 C flour, 1/4 t salt, and 3 eggs, and pretty much followed the About.com instructions.

The flour and salt, mixed together with a fork:I made a well in the center of the flour mixture and added the 3 eggs:
Per the About.com instructions, I scrambled the eggs first with the fork, then slowly started incorporating the flour:
A short video of my incorporating the flour bit by bit:

After incorporating, I dumped the lumpy dough out onto a floured surface:Kneading for about 10 minutes or so yielded a much smoother dough ball:
Rolling out the dough:
Is it thin enough yet?
Then, I rolled up the rolled-out dough, jelly-roll style, and cut it into desired widths:
I twirled the dough ribbons into a streamer-like shape, just for fun:
After drying out for a couple of hours on the counter (and they were, by no means, actually dry-dry), dh made stroganoff with them! Here it is, served with a salad of greens from our garden:
Seriously easy!

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams