Monday, December 06, 2010

Chickens go in; apple pies come out

Those of you who have memorized Chicken Run by now will be cracking up over the title; the rest of you will have to go rent Chicken Run to watch! =)

No apple pies, alas, due to not having apples. But I was in the mood for pies. I wanted to make a pecan pie because we had a really poor one on Thanksgiving, and we had to get the memory of that one out of our palates' minds. So, I baked my usual "Honey Pecan Pie". Honey is a lovely sweetener whereas corn syrup just imparts too cloying a sweetness.
It is the easiest recipe too! I anticipate some of you will ask for it, so here it is:

Honey Pecan Pie

1 C honey
1/2 C (1 stick) melted butter
3 large eggs, lightly beaten

1/8 t salt
1 t vanilla extract
1.5 C chopped pecans
1 9" unbaked pie crust

Mix first 5 ingredients together, stir in pecans, and pour into pie crust. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.

Easy, no?

I also made a sweet potato pie because we have a bunch of sweet potatoes in storage.
The pecan pie was delicious, as always. Will eat the sweet potato pie today! Mmmmm!

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams