Monday, April 18, 2011

Food, glorious food

Yes, folks, we had our first asparagus of the season this past weekend! It was a small harvest, but it was so tasty, my mouth still waters thinking about it.
I've seen some other blog posts of people's gardens and I have to say they look a lot better than ours, but I still think ours is lovely, if only because it's the one we get our food from. :)  Ds#1 took these photos and didn't zoom in as much as I'd like, but you know what they say about beggars.  This bed has beets and spinach.
This one has a variety of lettuce and frisee:

The garlic is looking mighty fine!  We mulched them tonight with last fall's leaves.
And the strawberries are blooming:
A close-up of the pretty lettuce:
Asparagus, pre-picking:
Some broccoli and cauliflower (we don't usually grow cauliflower in the spring).  I'm going to convince dh to grow some purple cauliflower for me after reading about it at My Kids Eat Squid.
Celery was never my favorite veggie, but it does kick up egg or tuna salads.  There was an article on Care2.com recently which talked about the health benefits of celery, so now I'm glad dh grows it.
This looks like a stray onion that over-wintered by accident.
More strawberry blooms...
We moved the chickens out of their usual fenced area so the grass can grow back.  After a whole winter cooped up there, they had cleared out pretty much all the green stuff.  We moved them over to the east field where they feasted on lots of lovely grass and violets.  I love our electric fence.
This is the &^%$ rooster.  He's a bit of a dweeb. We've not had a really good rooster since Don Juan, who was "trained" by our friend, Jami. I think instead of running her lovely business, My Edible Eden, she really should go into training roosters to be nice chickens because she has a real talent for that!  :)

I've been toying with the idea of closing up this blog and focusing on my "official" blog. I know that I should write every day to keep my writing muscles flexible, but my writing muscles are actually a little bit sore and I'm starting to realize that non-fiction is not my thing to write even though it's my favorite thing to read.  Just a little warning in case you show up one day and the blog is gone.  :}


"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams