Saturday, April 23, 2011

Secret garden?

Hubby went out this afternoon - between periods of thunderstorms; boy, are we ever having crazy weather! - and picked a huge bag of kale!
I'm looking at it thinking "where the heck did this come from when last I looked at the garden, all our seedlings were under 3 inches tall??"

But here's this amazing kale, with leaves as big as my hand:
Yet the stems were tender:
Does hubby have a secret garden I didn't know about?  As it turned out, this was kale that self-seeded in the greenhouse and had grown up over the winter months.  I was in the greenhouse watering the seedlings last week when dh was at a conference, and I didn't even see the kale.  They don't call me Sherlock for nuthin'!  D'oh.

Hubby also picked the cilantro that had self-seeded in the greenhouse:
And we had both for dinner...wilted kale in an Asian marinade and a cilantro sauce for our home-made wontons.  Yum!


"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams