Sunday, June 19, 2011

Random thoughts just coz I can

Hubby was at a dinner at a professional conference this past spring, and white asparagus was served. Someone wondered what it was, and someone else confidently replied that it was parsnips. Dh refrained from going WTF? because it was a professional conference after all. LOL! No, really, he's just generally tactful; the yin to my yang. I am known for many things, but being tactful and diplomatic is not one of them.

Anyway, hubby told the person who first asked that those were white asparagus, and that we grow them. Whereupon someone else wondered if white asparagus was a different variety. I'm here to dispel that notion just like dh did that evening. White asparagus is just asparagus grown covered so that it doesn't get to photosynthesize. People who grow frisee do the same thing to them because whiter frisee is less bitter. See the white spears in front of the others? Those were covered by leaves before they were picked.
I won't even bother with a clever segue, but want to thank Robin (who writes the wonderful Rurification blog) for encouraging me to make cheese. She recommended the kits from New England Cheesemaking Supply Company so I got one and made mozzarella twice already! There were one or two mistakes in the instructions, but overall, it was a great experience and fairly easy. This was the stage where the curd formed and I cut it with a knife.
And here it is, done!  Ta-da!  Very tasty it is too.
Third random thought: we have a black snake that has decided it likes to keep company with our tools in the shed.  Great.  Don't get me wrong; I love snakes.  I just prefer to know where they are in proximity to me and that they aren't dangling over my head.  I don't like things above my head and I don't like it when people walk behind me.  Oh wait, this isn't a random thoughts post after all.  This is a post about Teresa's irrational phobias!
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams