Saturday, June 11, 2011

Something creative, something blue

Seems like my kids' friends are so busy with homeschooling stuff that they rarely have time for playdates anymore. Some days, I feel like I have more playdates than they do!

Once or twice a month, I have lunch dates with my girlfriends (now that the boys are old enough, I can leave them unsupervised for a couple of hours occasionally). I got together with my neighbor/friend, Allison, this past week for a jewelry-making/lunch date. It was fun! I got to work on something I never allow myself the time for at home because something else is always more important. My poor writing is sometimes relegated to the same low status on my to-do list, unfortunately.

Anyway, I got to finish off a necklace the string of which had broken many years ago and that I had never gotten around to re-stringing. Here it is, with the matching earrings I made:
Since that didn't take very long, I also had time to make a couple more pairs of earrings. Well, sort of - I didn't bring enough findings over to Allison's house and couldn't put the hook on this pair of earrings:

But, here it is, all finished (and blurry):

The other pair I made was blue. I don't make too many blue things, nor do I wear many blue things, except for jeans. But, I do like the myriad shades of blue:
The kids, well, they do get to see their friends, but often only in the context of their co-ops, clubs, fieldtrips and classes lately. A dear friend of mine organized a field trip to Angel Mounds, in Evansville, Indiana, also this past week. Being the bad mom that I am, I rarely remember to bring my camera.  Luckily, having an iPhone means never having to say "I'm sorry" or going without image-capturing capability again.  So here are some poor quality pictures of a fun day.

A photo of part of the site, with one of the mounds in the far distance:
The kids descending from stairs that go up one of the mounds, supposedly the one the chief had used:
The kids also got to try out some flint-napping, which, predictably,  I forgot to take photos of, and some soil-sifting for artifacts, very similar to panning for gold:
Close-up of ds#1's butt:
Not only did the kids get to play archaeologist for a day, they are also now officially Canadians!  Having jumped through the long, somewhat arduous hoop, of applying for proof of their citizenship (because I'm Canadian), we now have their citizenship cards!
YESSSS! Hubby told them that they will have to learn the Canadian anthem.  ;)

And speaking of kids, we've been trying to find ways to get rid of household pests...just kidding, kids...sort of.  Here are a couple of links for you in case you're also plagued with ants (or some other vermin):

Repelling pests the natural way (via Natural Home and Garden) and Natural Ways to Get Rid of Ants from Your Home from Care2.com. 

Well, I had better go finish writing a story for my SF critique group.  No rest for the wicked.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams