Tuesday, October 25, 2011

It's beginning to look a lot like...

Well, not really. Luckily. Or hubby will want to move farther south.

But, it's never too early to make Snowball Cookies! This was my mother-in-law's recipe. She used to make it for Christmas every year. One year, she told us that she made them because they were my hubby's favorite cookies. Hubby said, "I never said they were my favorite cookies!" My MIL insisted he did; hubby insisted he didn't.  Anyway, it then became a running family joke. Every year thereafter she'd say to him, "I made your favorite cookies!"  I miss my MIL.

Snowball Cookies

1 C butter
1/2 C powdered sugar, sifted + extra for rolling cookie in
1 t vanilla
2.5  flour
1/4 t salt
3/4 C pecans, chopped

Preheat oven to 350F

Cream butter in large bowl just above medium speed. Add sugar and cream until light. Stir in vanilla.  Sift flour and salt together; mix in. Stir in nuts.

Shape into balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake for 15 minutes.  Roll in powdered sugar straight out of the oven (I never do this part now, and we prefer that way). Roll again when cooled.

Naked cookies waiting to be covered with sugar:
Here one is, rolling in the sugar (not as much fun as rolling in the dough) :
Makes about 36 cookies (I roll small cookies so I usually end up with around 90 cookies).

These are so good that I can't stop eating them once I start.  I'd have to say that they're MY favorite cookies!  Hope you enjoy them too.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams